- TVET Programs
- Institution Based Training Programs
This refers to technical colleges or similar institutions in which students who have completed a requisite O or A level program and continue in a certificate or diploma programs on a full time basis. The term includes part time learning in which learners come to the institution in the evening or weekends. Currently in Maldives there are very few institutions offering competency based training programs.
- Employer Based Training Programs
This refers to organized learning by employees that takes place in the work place. It includes both mastery of skills under the direction of a worker/trainer and classroom training in the employers premise or elsewhere.
- STEP Apprenticeship Programme
- STEP is a partnership program initiated by Government of Maldives and Tourism Industries. STEP is a 6 to 12 months training program that will present the youth with a tremendous range of careers available in the tourism industry. This new approach to training is an exciting development for those looking for careers in the tourism industry.
- STEP is an on the job training program that strives to put youth on the first step of a career ladder that can lead over time to higher jobs as well as academic achievements.
- In addition to providing career opportunities to apprentices in the tourism industry, STEP also focuses on facilitating newly joined employees in the industry achieve a desired level of training through Technical and Vocational Education and Training certified by the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA)
- An apprenticeship is a full-time employment-based training program usually of six months to 12 months duration which leads to a nationally recognized trade qualification. A combination of on-the-job and off-the-job training enables the apprentice to obtain all the necessary skills. A registered Training Organization (registered training institute at DHE or Registered Employer Based Training (EBT at TVETA) provides the off-the-job training requirement and will develop an individual training plan for the apprentice.
- STEP apprenticeship program is organized and coordinated by a mutual understanding between the Technical and Vocational Educational and Training Authority (TVETA) – Ministry of Education, Ministry of Human Resources, Youth and Sports, Ministry of Tourism Arts and Culture and Resorts.